Hangleton is located in west Hove in Sussex, lying just north of the city. Covering an area of 1120 acres, it stretches from the edge of the coastal plain near the present Old Shoreham Road, up onto the high downland south of Devil's Dyke. Situated in a spectacular position its an ideal location for exploring the glorious South Downs. Abandoned in the Middle Ages, Hangleton consisted of open farmland until the Interwar period when extensive residential development took place and the Hangleton we see today began its evolution.
Hangleton has a very rich, historic past, with part of its significant heritage including St Helen's Church, the oldest surviving building in the City of Brighton and Hove. St Helen’s still retains its ancient character and much of its medieval fabric, unlike most other medieval churches in the Brighton and Hove area who saw extensive restoration throughout the 19th century. St Helen's was isolated due to its distant spot high on the South Downs, thus largely forgotten about. As the expanse of open land surrounding St Helen's was developed into housing, the church eventually received its restoration work and was granted Grade ll listed status in 1950, reopening for use in 1949.
Hangleton also boasts grade II listed Hangleton Manor and its adjoining Old Manor House, the oldest secular building in the Hove part of the City of Brighton and Hove. With some of its 15th century features still remaining, this beautiful historic building was constructed for Richard Bellingham when he acquired the Lordship of the Manor. There are many folktales surrounding the building and its environs; local folklore asserts that a 17th century dovecote in the grounds has been haunted since a monk put a curse on it! And according to legend, oaks were cut from the woods surrounding Hangleton Manor to build Lord Nelson's fleet. Fabulous tales that may even be true! In 2005 the Manor was bought by one of the few remaining regional family brewers and sympathetically transformed into a wonderfully restored pub-restaurant.
Hangleton was developed circa the late 1930s and in the Sunninghill area there is a 1946-built estate which was interestingly originally partly constructed by German Ex-POW's stranded in the UK after the Second World War. The housing in Hangleton is the standard suburban mix, typically properties are semi-detached family homes, whilst much of the western area around Hangleton Valley is in the form of 1950's and 1960's bungalow developments. Recently there has been an influx to the area of young professionals with families, mainly due to its affordable, sizeable and varied housing and its excellent range of schools and efficient transport links into nearby Hove and Brighton city centres. Hangleton is now affectionately known by residents in the surrounding city as "The Hantons", a reference to The Hamptons in New York and just as appealing.
There are an excellent range of local amenities, doctors, dentists, independent shops and some outstanding pubs and restaurants in the area, including noteworthy Hangleton Manor, and with the City of Hove a stone’s throw away with all it has to offer in the way of leisure, seaside and retail facilities, the location is near perfect.
Local schools are accomplished and a short bus ride opens up additional educational opportunities in the City of Brighton and Hove. Lancing College, Brighton College and the High School for Girls are easily accessible with the Universities a short distance away.
Bus routes into and around Hove and Brighton are excellent and Hangleton is within walking distance of Portslade railway station with its direct links to Hove, Brighton and London. There is easy access to the local motorways making getting out of town in any direction extremely easy. The A23/M23 north to Gatwick, London and beyond; A27 to towns east and west and the coast road, make Hangleton a perfect residential area to settle and enjoy the surrounding conveniences.
Get in touch
Call us on 01273 383830 or send us a message...